 CAD / 12103
Re: Not a good fit?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad, lugnet.cad.mlcad
Date:
Thu, 4 Nov 2004 21:12:55 GMT

In lugnet.cad, Jaco van der Molen wrote:
Hi all,

Take a look at this!
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/sjaacko/Temp/8561.png

As you can see I have been modelling Technic set 856 and came across this:
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/sjaacko/Temp/856a.gif
and this:
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/sjaacko/Temp/856b.gif

Technic bricks and connectors are exactly fit to the blue pins and ought to
fit exactly on the green one, but it is not a perfect fit. Why is this?
I have not been able to build the model for real yet, but I asume the
proportions are correct? Why not then in LDraw...

Any thoughts?

Hi Jaco,
  I run into this often when I'm using rotation to get things into place.

  With MLCad you have a grid (course, medium, fine).  All things that are placed
are snapped to the grid.

  For nice rectangular designs, this grid works well.  When you place a technic
brick, and then rotate it into place around one hole, you are not guaranteed
that the other holes in the brick line up nicely with the grid.  So when you try
to place your green pin, it is on the grid, but the hole is off-grid.

  In these cases, you have might have to modify the default fine grid settings
to smaller grid, so you can sneek the green pin into the correct place.

  An alternative would be to place your technic beam so that it is all lined up
with the x,y and Z planes.  Slide it into place.  Put in the blue pin.  Now put
in the green pin.  Then rotate the technic brick and the green pin about the
blue pin, until the green pin is in place.  Now the green pin will be perfeclty
aligned with the hole, but off grid.

  Doing this second method, you will not have to worry about grid granularity.

Jaco

Kevin