 CAD / 11897
Re: LPub: Rendering mainly black and dk grey models
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Mon, 27 Sep 2004 23:08:11 GMT

In lugnet.cad, Ross Crawford wrote:
In lugnet.cad, William Howard wrote:
Apologies if this is the wrong group, but it didn't seem to fit too well under
publishing.

I'm using LPub to render a mainly black and dk grey model and its not working
out too good.  This is due to the fact that depending on orientation (and hence
the casting of shadows and/or falling of light) some black parts look dark grey
and some dk grey parts look black (and to make matters worse a part can appear
to change colour between the exploded and assembled views).

Does anybody have any tips/tricks to overcome this?  Short of changing all the
dark grey parts to light grey that is ;-)

Well, probably won't make you feel any better, but have you checked any official
LEGO instructions lately? They have the same problem, and they don't have to
worry about shadows!

But you should definitely use shadowless lights. And I haven't experimented much
with sky_sphere, can that be used to get an "all over" lighting effect? I know
it's a pain playing with the POV code manually, but once you find the settings
that work, you can create an include file and easily include it in all the
instruction steps.

ROSCO

LPub supposedly uses shadowless lighting, Are you possiby seeing reflections off
the plasic that look like they might be shadows?  On the POV tab you can control
image rendering quality to eliminate surface reflections.

I've not kept up with all the new/improved features people have been using with
POV-Ray.  It has been a tough year.  Hard to keep up with all the CAD
developments.

It was a great weekend.  Nice to have some time to code.  I converted LPub's
building instruction image generation over to PNG this weekend!  We have
assembly images with transparency, callout images with transparency, and part
list images with transparency.  Now I need to add the option to overlay those
images on top of monochrome background, or background images. That part is easy.

I'm going home to add the concept of page size to the layout tools, so we can
place PLI, step number, page number, assembly, callouts relative to the page
boundaries.

LPub improvements have been long overdue.

Kevin