 CAD / 1181
Re: SpiderWalker rides again!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Thu, 4 Mar 1999 15:41:52 GMT

In lugnet.cad, fredrik.glockner@bio.uio.no (Fredrik Glöckner) writes:
lehman@javanet.com (Todd Lehman) writes:

Here's a new picture of it -- at night:

    http://www.fibblesnork.com/lego/spiderwalker/pov.html

That's cool!  Did you put the light sources inside the 1x1 trans
circular plates?

Inside the round 1x1 plates.  1 LDU from the topmost face, I think.

Did you use cone light sources or ordinary ones?

Hmm, I didn't think of using conical light sources...it's been a very long
time (~6 years) since I've used POV, so I didn't tweak the .pov file much.  A
conical light source sounds like a good idea, thanks for the suggestion!

I bet it took a lot of experimenting before you got the scene like that!

Hmm, I guess I got lucky...the lighting turned out the way I wanted it to on
the second try, and the walkers were placed carefully ahead of time in LEdit
so that the camera could be placed at that position...the tricky bit was
making the overhead light look like moonlight and getting the black turned
down super-super-dark but just barely still visible.  Probably only about an
hour of actual experimenting, then lots of AA rendering time!

I made a really small rendering config for doing 80x60 no-AA, which gives a
pretty quick turnaround time when tweaking the camera and brightnesses.
Lars's quality setting options were extremely helpful too.  :)

Oh, and by the way, to make the scene even more creepy, you can add some
ground fog, or perhaps some atmoshere, which will make the light
interact with the fog.  (This feature is called media in POV-Ray 3.1.)

Grrr, but then I'd have to actually read the POV manual.  :)

Anyway, yeah, I'd sure like to add a tiny bit of fog and a starry background
sometime.  I remember this really cool scene in the movie _Outland_ where you
could see the pitch-black silhouette of an approaching ship against a starry
background -- that's the kind of black-effect that I want to shoot for.  Maybe
I'll try conical light sources too -- the way the eyes "glow" is kind of fun,
but I really originally wanted them to be more like spotlights.

--Todd