 CAD / 11777
  question about people who are doing rapid prototyping of parts...

A while back someone posted a sort of "wishlist" of parts they would like to see lego make. Has anyone (with access to a RP machine) considered making some/all of these parts? Even if just to see how they would work in the real world... (20 years ago, 14-Aug-04, to lugnet.cad)

  Re: question about people who are doing rapid prototyping of parts...

(...) Yes, I've been very interested in creating CAD and RP models of "fantasy" LEGO parts (I don't know when this term was coined, but we were using it all over SIGGRAPH for some reason - definition: parts that LEGO does not produce). If you read (...) (20 years ago, 16-Aug-04, to lugnet.cad)

  Re: question about people who are doing rapid prototyping of parts...

(...) If the $75 is (mostly) from some base flat fee, then one way to reduce the $/part might be to have the 'file' being printed contain multiple parts, or multiple copies of a part. You could do the plastic 'tree' thing liek model parts come on if (...) (20 years ago, 16-Aug-04, to lugnet.cad)

  Re: question about people who are doing rapid prototyping of parts...

OK, I went to express3D.com and uploaded these STL files: (URL) The first one, a single 2X4, got the following range of quotes/technology: $75/3DP - 3D Printing = powdered resin hardened with liquid = e.g. ZCorp $90-150/SLA - StereoLithography (...) (20 years ago, 17-Aug-04, to lugnet.cad, FTX)

  Re: question about people who are doing rapid prototyping of parts...

(...) Sorry, perhaps this thread is better off in parts.custom? Can a moderator do this more elegantly? Darrell (20 years ago, 17-Aug-04, to lugnet.parts.custom)

  Re: question about people who are doing rapid prototyping of parts...

(...) I apologise in advance for the fact that the following will sound like nitpicking... LUGNET is not moderated. It however, does have admins. Admins can do a number of things. However, they cannot move posts. More however-ingly, an admin can (...) (20 years ago, 17-Aug-04, to lugnet.cad, lugnet.parts.custom)

  Motivating CAD students to model LEGO (was prototyping)

(...) Well, my Semester starts in two weeks, so if you have any tips I'm all for hearing them! My biggest problem is motivating the Architecture students in my group. The Engineers don't really care what they draw (a widget is a widget is a widget). (...) (20 years ago, 18-Aug-04, to lugnet.parts.custom, lugnet.cad, lugnet.build.arch, lugnet.build.microscale, lugnet.edu, FTX)

  Re: Motivating CAD students to model LEGO (was prototyping)

(...) I am amazed that the architecture students would need any motivation to design with legos. Being an architect myself I cannot even fathom the thought! One suggestion would be to ask the students to try and model their previous projects using (...) (20 years ago, 19-Aug-04, to lugnet.parts.custom, lugnet.cad, lugnet.build.arch, lugnet.build.microscale, lugnet.edu, FTX)

  Re: question about people who are doing rapid prototyping of parts...

Here's some follow-up. I sent the xpress3d.com quote info to the Rapid Prototyping discussion group I belong to (all RP Educators who take on jobs to help fund their programs). I got these responses so far: ***** I calculate the volume of materials, (...) (20 years ago, 21-Aug-04, to lugnet.cad, FTX)

  OK, I'm torn

Today I had a first - -Student brings in a set of BI to show what he wants to make for his first project in my 3D AutoCAD class. -It's a Megabloks kit. :( Cool model, though. :) Darrell (20 years ago, 14-Sep-04, to lugnet.cad, lugnet.build.arch, lugnet.build.microscale, lugnet.edu, FTX)