 CAD / 10274
10273  |  10275
Subject:
LDraw & POV Parts (was: Re: Questions: 12 volt train track parts)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Fri, 27 Jun 2003 02:26:45 GMT

In lugnet.cad, Don Heyse wrote:

It seems to me that this is where we draw the line between ray tracing
parts and ldraw parts.  Extra details and rounded edges belong on the ray
tracing versions of the parts, but not on the ldraw parts.  Ldraw parts
should render quickly because they're meant to be rendered in real time
for building.  Sharp edge lines provide important visual cues needed by
builders moving the parts around on screen.

Maybe I'm old-fashioned, but I *like* renderings with edgelines.  They
are very useful for building instructions, but even for non-building
instruction images, the edgelines appeal to me.  Maybe I've watched too
many cartoons in my life. :)

I'm sure I'm not alone -- the facts that MegaPOV can create edgelines in
POV renderings, and that people use this function, indicate the general
usefulness/popularity of outlined renderings.

But that's all beside the point, mostly.

Of course this brings up the point of what to do about the somewhat
incompatible ray tracing libraries we're currently stuck with.  I
propose we make new LGEO style parts since l3p already works with
them and since nobody else seems to be adding to that part library.
However, I wonder if we should model new ray parts in LDRAW coords
and put an LGEO coordinate conversion wrapper around them, or is it
better to model in the more conventional LGEO coordinate system?

I don't think the coordinate system matters that much, as long as we're
consistent.  Even so, my preference is to create new POV-parts in LDraw
coordinates, because that will maximize the portability of effort
between the LDraw parts and these new LDraw/POV parts.

One concern I do have is that sooner or later, we'll get to a point
where someone wants to create a part for this POV library, but for
various reasons won't want to do a reasonably decent LDraw file for the
part. :/  If we had a POV2LDR converter program, that would help
somewhat, but there are somethings that don't translate directly -- like
patterned parts.

Of course, if Anton or Lutz are open to adding new part definitions to
their libraries, I'd be OK with creating files using their systems.

Steve