 CAD / 10270
Re: Questions: 12 volt train track parts
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Wed, 25 Jun 2003 19:57:50 GMT

I put some questions on my questions page about metal pieces:
http://home.hetnet.nl/~niels-karsdorp/ldraw/question.htm

Steve Bliss replied to those:

The metal rail is a formed, hollow 'square tube' of metal.  Does this
detail need to be modeled, or is it alright to model the rail as a solid
bar?

I'm OK with modeling it as a solid bar, but the extra detail is good,
and since you've made it, we should use it.

When I look at a real piece I see a hollow metal bar and a bar with a
connector that fits in the hollow bar of an adjecant part.
To match real connection possibilities, I assume there should be a
hole where the connector of an adjecent part should fit in and not
going through a solid bar.

The curved edges of the
rail are probably more detail than we really need in LDraw -- they'll
tend to have a very 'soft' look when rendered in a non-raytracing tool,
because there won't be any edge line drawn on the edge closest to the
viewer.

Then what are the 'limits' for details? How far do we have to go?
I really like to know this before I start on the metal parts of the battery box
(I have finished all plastic parts now:
http://home.hetnet.nl/~niels-karsdorp/ldraw/partselectric.htm )
(Individual parts at 'Parts I have created' and two complete assemblies at
'Parts I am working on')

Niels