 CAD / 10273
Re: Questions: 12 volt train track parts
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Thu, 26 Jun 2003 22:25:01 GMT

In lugnet.cad, Don Heyse wrote:
It seems to me that this is where we draw the line between ray tracing
parts and ldraw parts.  Extra details and rounded edges belong on the ray
tracing versions of the parts, but not on the ldraw parts.  Ldraw parts
should render quickly because they're meant to be rendered in real time
for building.  Sharp edge lines provide important visual cues needed by
builders moving the parts around on screen.

Of course this brings up the point of what to do about the somewhat
incompatible ray tracing libraries we're currently stuck with.  I
propose we make new LGEO style parts since l3p already works with
them and since nobody else seems to be adding to that part library.
However, I wonder if we should model new ray parts in LDRAW coords
and put an LGEO coordinate conversion wrapper around them, or is it
better to model in the more conventional LGEO coordinate system?

This seems ok to me in theory: quick ldraw parts and more detailed ray trace
parts. The practice however brings up the question how are we going to build up
and maintain a quality ray traceable parts library. LGEO or Anton's or .... (and
how are these versions be created)

Niels