 Books / 41
Re: Lego Book "50 years of Lego"
Newsgroups:
lugnet.books
Date:
Sun, 5 Mar 2000 01:53:40 GMT

One correction. I apologize for my laziness in earlier post. My book
is indeed titled, "50 Years of Play."

I mean for no argument here and I'm friendly in this discussion. But I
also hope for simple respect of my stance.

Tony Kilaras wrote:
- it would devalue the book itself, which is of collectors' quality,

This I highly doubt. I base this on the going prices of Idea Books that are
freely available on www.brickshelf.com. No matter how good the scan, there
is just no substitute for the real thing.

To be clear, when I said "devalue" I meant "to lessen in value," not
to eliminate the value. But I'd be just as happy to say, "it would
alter public perception of the book in a way that I would not feel
good about."

It is my opinion that without existence of scans online (free for all
to download and print), the "real thing"  is of greater value
considering that most people still lack knowledge of exactly what's
between its covers. Also, they can have no physical reproduction for
themselves.

I'm talking strictly about this particular book (not instructions,
idea books, or anything else).

- and it was a recent gift to me from LEGO Denmark.

Why would they give you as a gift an 18 year old book?

Because it's a great book.  :-)   ;-)

When I became a LEGO Fellow at the MIT Media Lab, the book was one of
a number of items -- new products, company literature, etc -- that
were presented to me as both a gift and introduction to the company.
The people involved also knew me to be a great appreciator of LEGO,
particularly of some of their older building sets.

Although 18 years old, the book was never opened. It was sealed in its
corrugated cardboard shipping box. I believe others at MIT have
received the same.

As I said earlier, I do have a number of interesting LEGO pictures and
facts that I still intended to share much of here. I will enjoy doing
that. In fact, for my Books area on baseplate.com, I have a scan of
the cover of "50 Years of Play," created months ago. I'll post a
pointer shortly.

-Suz.