 Announcements / Creations (MOCs) / 520
519  |  521
Subject:
The Pumpkin Patch
Newsgroups:
lugnet.announce.moc, lugnet.fun.holiday, lugnet.town
Date:
Mon, 16 Sep 2002 20:12:52 GMT
Highlighted:
!! (details)

Even though summertime weather lingers here in the Eastern U.S., my thoughts
have turned to autumn and my favorite holiday of the year – Halloween!

As part of the display that I’m hoping to have ready for the holiday, I
wanted to build a pumpkin patch.  I had previously purchased some Lego Pen
beads from Tom Stangl that were medium-orange in color and have a spider-web
design on one side.   I had already used some of these as decorative
elements on the Pumpkin Coach of my Ghostline Express train.  I figured they
could also be used to create a patch.

But then a couple of weeks ago Mark Papenfuss posted about a pile of beads
he had been able to secure which included ones in the regular orange color
with no design on them.  Mark has posted a couple of times recently about
these beads including links to some pictures that show how the model
builders in LLC used them at Halloween last year throughout Mini-Land and
the park.  So I nabbed a sack of these “pumpkins” too.

I’ve put together my first little pumpkin patch and the pictures are now
available on BrickShelf for anyone who is interested:

As you can see I ended up using beads in both shades of orange.  I’m really
happy with the way this little MOC turned out.  I’ll have it on display
during the next two weekends while RichLUG has its display at the 25th
Annual RF&P Model Railroad show at the Science Museum of Virginia here in
Richmond.

Also, I just want to rave (once again) about how much I love the new
mini-fig pumpkin-heads from the Harry Potter and Monster Studios sets.  It’s
got to be my favorite element from the last year or so.

Hope you enjoy the pictures!

Greg

P.S. To those who might be interested in their own pumpkin creations,
BrickLink now has a separate category in the catalog for Pen Beads.  Thanks
to Tom and Mark for making them available in their shops.