 Announcements / Creations (MOCs) / 4178
new moc: motorized ice skating castle
Newsgroups:
lugnet.announce.moc, lugnet.town, lugnet.build.arch
Date:
Wed, 26 Mar 2008 01:10:55 GMT
Highlighted:
! (details)

   inspired by the motorized mocs of mcbricker (barbara werth): pavillion of dancing and peter edwards: dodgem cars, i wanted to combine my interest in architectural mocs with movement. i had read about an outdoor ice castle rink somewhere in england but found no pictures.

having previously stated that i had once given away most of my technic pieces, i was lucky to borrow some gears and a motor from fellow lug member jason allemann to complete my latest moc. okay, who are we fooling, i told jason what i’d like the moc to do, and thankfully, he was able to do it. i helped with a few minor technical adjustments/suggestions, but he did the motorized part. the rest of the moc is mine though.

warning: tales of mutilation and modification follow.

   creating a thin layer of “ice” was a small challenge. the minimum seams on the ice the better and so the large white hockey tiles were wiped clean of paint. finding the correct combination of magnets took some experimenting. the train magnets under the ice were attached to 2x2 turntables and then 2x2 hinge tops. the skaters were next. i own “mighty magnets”, tiny rare earth magnets, but still too large to be of use in a minifig. i also own lego magnet bricks. i suspected the magnets inside the bricks would fit into the minifig legs somehow so i pried a few apart and snapped the magnets in half. they fit into minifig legs but the orientation was wrong.

the skate i had designed also presented a problem with minifig legs, so i created some leg designs with 1x1 bricks, regular and round. i put the cut lego magnets in the bricks and attached them to the minifig torsos. this combination of magnet was not strong enough, so i added a mighty magnet to the train magnet. the skaters still move quite jerkily on the ice. i’ve tried a few different solutions to reduce friction but none was successful. strangely, one skater on the ice will skate without difficulty for quite a while, but adding a second skater presents a challenge and they both begin to topple over frequently.

thanks to another fellow lug member, janey “red brick”, i created my first lego movie of the moc in motion.

enjoy.

-§ deborah higdon-leblond §-