 Town / 10062
Re: new moc: motorized ice skating castle
Newsgroups:
lugnet.town
Date:
Fri, 28 Mar 2008 01:49:22 GMT

In lugnet.town, Sean Kenney wrote:
   Deborah:

Kudos to you for getting this to work!

I had a terrible time trying to do this a few years ago (http://www.seankenney.com/portfolio/town_with_moving_lego_people/ ) the thickness of the “ice” (or “road” in my case) coupled with the friction of the tiles and the strength of the magnets, agh! I really wanted to do what you did with the chains but ended up just making circular paths. I’m amazed to see how well it’s turned out! How did you keep the figs facing forward when they skated? Mine would face forward, sideways, backwards, whatever they felt like.

Sean

thanks, sean. kudos must be shared with jason who got my idea to work and used all his parts to do it! now that you’ve shown me the link, i recall seeing your moc! i agree that it’s tricky to work with that thickness and get just the right amount of pull. too much and you’d hear the noise of the magnets scraping the bottom of the baseplates and snagging on the baseplates seams. the fine tuning was key to getting these mocs to actually skate but it’s not consistent. amazingly most of the video i got was that skater facing forward. every other attempt had them spinning and skating in all directions, doing everything except triple salchows! i don’t know how much putting the lower magnet on the turntable helped but i thought it would give it that extra chance to face “forward” in the turns. luck did the rest.

-§ deborah §-