 Announcements / Creations (MOCs) / 3483
3482  |  3484
Subject:
Lunar Ice Harvester
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space, lugnet.announce.moc
Date:
Fri, 28 Jul 2006 15:05:43 GMT
Highlighted:
!! (details)

Used for excavation of lunar and asteroid surfaces the Ice Harvester, built by the CAT corporation, is critical to supporting life in space by providing oxygen for breathing and hydrogen for fuel. It chews up the upper layers of crust using the rotating cutter head. The crust material is then fed through the throat of the cutter head and into the processing area of the harvester where is is finely ground. The ground material is passed under two radiant heating units to evaporate water and ice for collection. The evaporated water is drawn upwards through the condensation towers where it is cooled to liquid form. The remaining crust material is discharged through the rear of the harvester. The liquid is them pumped into the holding tank for storage and transport.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/legozilla/sets/72157594214900576/

-Duane