 Announcements / Creations (MOCs) / 2268
2267  |  2269
Subject:
Mobile Anti-Aircraft Platform MAAP-210
Newsgroups:
lugnet.build.mecha, lugnet.announce.moc, lugnet.space
Date:
Mon, 27 Sep 2004 23:15:06 GMT
Highlighted:
! (details)

As threatened around 2 months ago in this post, I finally present my newest mech, the MAAP-210.

This is my attempt at building something in Mladen’s favoured style. It turned out a lot bigger than I originally intended. Eight legs also seriously strained my collection to the point where I had to resort to Bricklink to finish it off, but I’m rather pleased with the end result, even if it lacks Mladen’s refinement.

The hip joints gave me a few headaches. The original construction turned out to be far too weak (1 1x4 brick hinge gave it’s life for this information), so the centre four legs now feature wormgears operated by the knobs set into the side.

The nice thing about this is that they are now strong enough to hold the entire model up, and the front and rear legs can be lifted menacingly.

It also features the new designer click rotation hinges, although they may be a little hard to spot.

The chain-guns were a late addition, mainly to fulfill the Mladenist requirement for multiple weapons loadouts - missile launchers may follow later.

The MAAP-210 has a crew of four. In the front sits the driver. Behind him is the navigator, who also fires the top turret. In the rear are two more gunners, who work whatever weapons are mounted on the sides and share witty reparte like “I got him! I got him!” “Great kid - don’t get cocky.”

All comments and criticisms are welcome. I’d especially like to hear what you think, Mladen.

Cheers,

Allister

p.s. and yes, true to form, on a slippery surface it does fall over at a fly’s fart, hence the baseplate.