 Announcements / Creations (MOCs) / 2148
  Pneumatic Arm

It was featured on my site for a few days, but I forgot to announce it here: a (URL) pneumatic arm>. Loosely modelled after human arm, it has 6 pneumatically actuated joints. (URL) You will find (URL) there> detail images, movies... Note: I first (...) (20 years ago, 16-Jul-04, to lugnet.announce.moc, lugnet.technic, FTX) !!

  Re: Pneumatic Arm

(...) Wow, seriously excellent hand design. Bravo. Its tough to create flex geometry using a single push/pull point. Elegant solution. (...) Excellent, I'm checking them out. (...) Sorry, but I have to tease you. Studless and studded compliment (...) (20 years ago, 16-Jul-04, to lugnet.technic, FTX)

  Re: Pneumatic Arm

(...) Philo, Congratulations on a beautiful creation! I like it a lot. I appreciate all the thought that went into the design. I'm also envious of all your clear pneumatic hose ;^) Studless beams work well in some applications, and not well in (...) (20 years ago, 17-Jul-04, to lugnet.technic)

  Re: Pneumatic Arm

Hi Kevin, (...) Thanks ;o) (...) Here is their source: (URL) (...) I'm convinced too now... but maybe someone has found (will find) a way to build decent studless braced structures? (...) I had not much trouble in one direction, but couln't find (...) (20 years ago, 17-Jul-04, to lugnet.technic)

  Re: Pneumatic Arm

Hello Eric, (...) Thanks ;o) Though I owe the original idea to Chris! (...) I agree, studded and studless constructions have their strong points. Looks like braced girders are best done with bricks and plate. (...) I'm afraid that my collection is (...) (20 years ago, 17-Jul-04, to lugnet.technic)

  Re: Pneumatic Arm

In lugnet.announce.moc, Philippe Hurbain wrote: -- snip -- This would be a fantastic official "My Own Creation." If Lego wants to jump-start the Mindstorms line, this would make a great centerpiece. Congratulations! (20 years ago, 18-Jul-04, to lugnet.technic, FTX)

  Re: Pneumatic Arm

(...) Thanks a lot Kyle! ...though I'm sure that there are better models that would deserve this honor. Indeed it would be great to see a Technic "My Own Creation" appear in Lego product range ;o) Philo (20 years ago, 20-Jul-04, to lugnet.technic)

  Re: Pneumatic Arm

In lugnet.announce.moc, Philippe Hurbain wrote: <snip> Excellent model, I enjoyed it very much. The shoulder turning mechanism reminded me of the wonderful <set:8868>, as did the entire moc: a solid, function-oriented creation that is the core of (...) (20 years ago, 21-Jul-04, to lugnet.technic)

  Re: Pneumatic Arm - now with LDraw files

LDraw files for the most important parts of this (URL) model> are now available: (2 URLs) Arm> (2 URLs) Compressor> Enjoy! Philo (20 years ago, 20-Oct-04, to lugnet.technic, FTX)

  Re: Pneumatic Arm

(...) <snip for bandwidth> (...) My answers to Technic Towers O' Power and Orthogonal Bracing: Method 1- Axles, Axle Connectors and Studless: 1 square segment = 4x Constructed as follows Verticals using Axle Connector #2 Alternating 90 degrees with (...) (20 years ago, 15-Dec-04, to lugnet.technic)

  Re: Pneumatic Arm

(...) That construction would be fine if the "beams" are always in compression, but because the diagonals all slope the same way in each section, it would be prone to twisting failure if you're not careful. ROSCO (20 years ago, 15-Dec-04, to lugnet.technic)

  Re: Pneumatic Arm

(...) Actually the only problem I encountered was a slight twist weakness in the very top and very bottom segments and the physical stress limits (vertically) of the Axles... I didn't actually reinforce it with beams at all.. looked awesome and (...) (20 years ago, 15-Dec-04, to lugnet.technic)

  Re: Pneumatic Arm

(...) Yes it is surprisingly sturdy - I even built one with just #12 axles and no diagonal bracing, and it worked very well. But they allowed significant twisting, it wasn't enough to make them fail but I wouldn't like to push it. (URL) (20 years ago, 16-Dec-04, to lugnet.technic)