 Technic / 13347
Re: Pneumatic Arm
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Wed, 15 Dec 2004 22:12:16 GMT

In lugnet.technic, Philippe Hurbain wrote:
Hi Kevin,

<snip for bandwidth>
  Studless beams work well in some applications, and not well in others.  As I'm
sure you know, I'm a studless beam advocate, but I'm also a studded beam
advocate.  For compact, lightweight structures, studless beams have an advantage
over studded beams.  For structures where you need to worry about static
stresses and strains (which your arm has especially when fully extended),
studded beams abnd plates are superior.

I'm convinced too now... but maybe someone has found (will find) a way to build
decent studless braced structures?

  Studless beams have much more flexion than studded beams.  To overcome the
flexion you need to use cross bracing.

I had not much trouble in one direction, but couln't find ways to properly
attach bracing in the orthogonal direction. So the structure was much too
flexible. Unfortunately I forgot to photograph the studless version before
dismantling it...

  Did the connections between the beams fail, or did the beams fail themselved?
Or was it that the structure twisted?

Twisting was the main problem...

  The structure below shows your typical cross bracing arrangement.  You will
want cross bracing in all three dimensions.

I did cross bracing, but stud/hole connection is stiffer that hole/pin/hole (to
place beams end to end) and much stiffer than hole/pin/hole/pin/hole I had to
use for bracing in one direction :-(

That said, I find myself using more and more studless constructions - the arm
itself is mainly studless!

Philo

My answers to  Technic Towers O' Power and Orthogonal Bracing:
Method 1- Axles, Axle Connectors and Studless:

1 square segment = 4x  Constructed as follows Verticals using Axle Connector #2
Alternating 90 degrees  with Axle 5L between them for vertical posts,  Diagonal
bracing is acheived using Axle Connector #5s with Axle 6Ls between them.. pin
the Connector #2's to the #5's and even without beams it's pretty sturdy..
attach 11L studless (or studded) to the proturding 3L pins to further
strengthen.

http://68.57.255.231/lego/models/GirderTowerSegment.ldr

The other method would be to use part Technic Pin Joiner Perpendicular Bent'
(44809) in profusion. This would allow Nice orthogonalbracing, but would use a
fortune in beams....
Built a rather spiffy 3' tower crane using method 1.... would've been taller..
but I ran out of #5 and #2 Connectors....