 Announcements / Creations (MOCs) / 1426
1425  |  1427
Subject:
Schwerpunkt a.k.a Focal Point
Newsgroups:
lugnet.build.mecha, lugnet.announce.moc
Date:
Fri, 12 Sep 2003 09:35:30 GMT

Hello everyone! It feels nice to be back with a new MOC, especially one that was never supposed to be a completed design.

Ideas starting from BW2k3 Schwerpunkt aka Focal Point

Closeup Pic (thanks to Bruce Lowell)

Other pics to be added later...

Stuff of note: This design started during the video presentation at Brickswest 2003 while Adrian Drake and I were plaing around with the new designer sets. I noticed a new plate click-hinge that gave me the inspiration for the hands. A few weeks later, I saw a VERY similar design posted on Brickshelf for the first time.

The greatest difference between our designs are the thumbs (mine is the plate hinge as it allows for holding items).

From the hands, Schwerpunkt grew. I wanted to build shoulders around the following parts:

1 http://www.lugnet.com/~524/41750
2 http://www.lugnet.com/jump.cgi?http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?P=41766 or http://www.peeron.com/inv/parts/41766
3 http://www.lugnet.com/~524/41749

I also had three design objectives with this mecha: 1) Rotational click hinges were to be the sole source of movement for: elbows, shoulders, waist, hips, knees, ankles, wings.
2) No click hinges were to be used EXCEPT as a design element only. That is to say, NONE of the brick click hinges move on this mecha.
3) Make Sand Green a viable PRIMARY mecha color. Dark Grey would be used wherever needed and Lime would provide accents. Trans Dark Blue was only added for power/weaponry once I realized the other 3 weren’t quite fusing the way I wanted. Light Grey should never have been a part of this design, but I ran out of dark grey...lol

Due to the rarity of some of the parts, this became a slow build. An hour here, a re-designed torso there, a head that came together far more quickly than I could have imagined. Ultimately, I had everything built except the torso - the exact opposite of what happened with Invictus Horriblus.

I’ve still got a couple of design issues with this model, so I’ll be updating it’s pics from time to time. The main issue I’ve got is the sheer amount of pressure the upper half of the mecha is exerting on the lower half caused the ragdoll effect if I’m not careful with it. In other words, I’ve found (and exceeded) the uppermost loadbearing limits of the rotational click hinges. I need to go back in and give the lower half quite a bit more strength before this one’s ready for a public display.
Next up: Trying to document a build from start to finish. This ought to be an interesting project since it brings together elements of what I’ve learned from four of my personal favorites: McGlone, Sophie, Neumann, Cooper with a bit of Lim/Harshbarger thrown in for good measure. Think large, think reverse-kneed, think uber-greebly, think December!

After that, we’ll see. I’d still like to build a Gundam-esque style mecha on Brian Cooper’s scale and I’ve got a moonbase module or three to retrofit/design.

Knowing that most folks don’t care for anything other than the base Lego colors in their mecha, I won’t even ask for comments on the colorscheme, but I’d be interested in any other design comments/questions that might pop up.

Thanks, -Dave