 Announcements / Creations (MOCs) / 1362
New MOC: Beau Sabreur Kaji
Newsgroups:
lugnet.announce.moc, lugnet.build.mecha
Date:
Sat, 16 Aug 2003 19:20:39 GMT
Highlighted:
! (details)

Hi folks,

I thought that making a mecha with no arms and legs was a bit of a cheat, so I’ve tried to follow up with a ‘proper’ one. I’m amazed at how difficult it was to get something jointed that can stand up and hold poses properly. All the cool mecha I’ve seen so far are now that much more impressive!

Anyway, here’s Beau Sabreur Kaji for your delectation:

Pre-moderation teaser:

Post moderation:

Stats

About a foot tall.

Weighs around 1.6 pounds.

15 points of articulation plus ‘fingers’ and shoulder pads.

Roughly 2 weeks construction time (evenings and weekends.)

Construction notes

I thought that I was going to make something akin to a Gasaraki Armour suit, so I started out by making a chest comparment to carry a minifig pilot. Then a friend of mine lent me the first few episodes of Evangelion and things changed a bit... My Beau Sabreur is in no way meant to be an EVA, but it does have one or two features in common - particularly the lower body and the entry plug-style pilot compartment.

(By the way, kudos to all the folks who’ve recently made or are making EVAs - they look amazing.)

There are other influences too - a friend of mine pointed out that the head looks a bit like the Type-0 from Patlabor, and I had the arms and hands of Mechadeus from Big-O in mind while building as well.

The problem with the EVA-style cockpit is that the torso needed to be pretty big, and at an angle to the vertical. This meant that my previous attempts at click-hinge legs failed to support the weight at the ankles and I had to try and produce very small worm-gear boxes.

I saw the amazing Dark Gundam a while ago, and read about using worm gears, but never thought I’d build something that big. Not that Kaji is all that big. I was pretty pleased with my ankle and foot design, but I’ve since seen that form of gearbox on other mecha so I guess it was a case of convergent evolution. The way the gearboxes fit into the shins is very satisfying - it’s one of those things where all the parts are completely loose until the shin lid is closed, and then it all locks into place and is really strong. Creating a middle-sized mecha is quite an interesting prospect really - there isn’t enough space to use all the really strong joint techniques, but the smaller hinge-based joints aren’t strong enough for the weight.

I’m pretty happy with the end result of the joints - the poses it can achieve are quite dynamic, and it will stand posed without falling, although adjusting the balance to get the pose is fiddly. I think it’d be a lot better if the legs could splay, and I keep thinking of Optimus Prime when I look at the upper torso, which isn’t really what I wanted. Never mind.

I’m hoping to build some more equipment (guns and things) at some point but I’m a bit burnt out at the moment... At least I managed the sabre. I may have to rework the arms a bit because the ball and socket joints, while very posable, aren’t able to support much weight. The sabre poses rely on getting the weight to go straight down through the wrist to prevent it flopping around, and it’d be more fun without this restriction.

Finally, the name is obviously a nod to Evangelion, plus I liked the idea of a Japanese mecha fighting using a western martial art. As a keen fencer, that had to be fencing. (I’m actually a foilist but it’s not such a cool name.)

Anyway, apologies for rambling on and I hope you like it. I certainly enjoyed the building and photographing.

Comments and criticism very welcome,

Cheers,

Will