 Announcements / Creations (MOCs) / 1205
New MOC: DYAD
Newsgroups:
lugnet.announce.moc, lugnet.build, lugnet.technic, lugnet.znap, lugnet.space
Date:
Wed, 18 Jun 2003 02:25:50 GMT
Highlighted:
! (details)

This MOC started out as a self propelled Znap wheel about two years ago. You can see a movie of the original here. About a month ago, I decided to see if I could build a similar wheel, but make it steerable.

My first attempts were wobbly because I only had enough Znap for 3 circles, so I couldn’t make two wheels more than a brick wide. I ordered some more curves off Bricklink. The next problem was keeping the two wheels attached to each other without the central axle falling apart. I tried various solutions before finally coming up with the final version, which has a Technic framework passing through half cylinders. Tires mounted on the large wheels roll over the cylinders with ease.

After the framework was complete, I still had problems with the axle spinning instead of the wheels turning. Giving in, I originally attached wheelie bars to the back of the fuselage after I built it to keep it from flipping over. However, when I tried it without the wheelie bars, it worked! The only time it ever flips over now is when you go from moving forward to backwards very suddenly.

Without any further ado,

   The DYAD

Please LMKWYT! Let me know if you want to see more pics. If people want, I can try to get some video too.
--Bram

   Bram Lambrecht
www.bldesign.org