 Announcements / 1047
1046  |  1048
Subject:
Make-a-guess contest! Win "fabulous" prizes!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.announce, lugnet.fun, lugnet.general
Date:
Thu, 19 Apr 2001 13:46:19 GMT

I've been parting out a number of 4288s (the Classic 400 pc red bucket),
thinking what a great set of parts for the price. These buckets retail
for $10 US, and could be had for as little as $2 in a recent eToys
blowout/debacle.

I got to wondering how much the parts would bring on BrickBay, so I did
a little research. While I have no intention of offering these parts for
sale (they're mine! all mine!), the numbers I came up with are too much
fun to keep to myself.

Thus this contest: Guess the value of the parts in a 4288 Classic 400 pc
bucket on Brickbay, and if you come the closest, I will send you a
"fabulous" prize:
- Guess the highest price and win the Grand Prize, Lego elements of my
choosing!
- Guess the median price and win the First Prize, 1 gallon bag of clone
bricks!
- Guess the lowest price and win the Second Prize, 2 gallon bags of
clone bricks!
This contest is open to anyone anywhere. I will pay for shipping.

Here's how the contest will work. Reply to this message in lugnet.fun
(only) with your guess. Each guess should consist of a catagory (low,
median, high), and a price. You can guess in any or all catagories, but
only the first set of guesses you make each day will be honored. You can
only win one of the three prizes. Roughly once a day, I will reply with
the best guesses in each catagory, and whether those guesses are high or
low. Once the guesses hit the actual price (or everyone gets bored),
three winners will be declared, who I will contact to get a shipping
address.

If you wish to guess but do not want the prize, please indicate that in
your guess. You may still obtain the honor of outguessing everyone
else -- the prize will go to the next closest guesser who wants the
prize.

Nitty-gritty: The price to be guessed consists of the sum of the prices
of 402 elements found in the 4288 (the minifig heads figured separately
from the torsos), but not including the paper (catalog and instructions)
or the bucket or bucket lid. The prices were harvested on April 18th and
19th, 2001 from BrickBay using the Advanced Search feature. The low
price total does not include used bricks, but high price total does
include used bricks. The median price total was guessed by scrolling
halfway between the low and high prices. Sales prices and bulk prices
were honored, even if the bulk quantity would require purchasing more
elements than are in a 4288. The minimum order and shipping / handling
fees were not included. All open shop's wares were considered.

The word "fabulous" in quotes means that this prize is "fabulous" only
in a tongue-in-cheek kind of way: the grand prize will be 100% Lego (and
likely new) but some cynic might accuse me of dumping my junk on someone
else. In all honesty I haven't decided what the "fabulous" Lego is yet,
but I guarantee it will be worth a lot (by BrickBay standards) to
somebody!

All prize decisions are final. This is a free contest, no entry fee is
required. In the case of a tie, the first post appearing on LUGNET will
take precedence. Any mistakes in computing the winning values are mine
and mine alone, but will have no bearing on the outcome of the contest.
The administrators of LUGNET have no involvement whatsoever in this
contest.

I will ship the prizes domestically and internationally using the
cheapest method available. The shipments will not be registered or
insured. For customs purposes, the shipments will be a gift. If a winner
is planning on attending BrickFest, I will deliver their winnings in
person.

Disclaimer: It is not my intention to insult, denegrate or otherwise
malaign BrickBay, its sellers, or buyers. I understand that some of the
BrickBay prices may be mistakes. I like BrickBay! I use it myself! This
is meant in fun only!