 Animation / 151
Re: New LEGO Toys Based on Jurassic Park III
Newsgroups:
lugnet.animation
Date:
Mon, 5 Feb 2001 21:14:50 GMT

In lugnet.publish.cinema, Jonathan Lill writes:

As per my above post, though many people did not get a chance to see them,
lego sets were pictured which seemed to consist solely of single dinosaur
figures. The ones pictured did not in any way refer to or imply association
with the moviemaker sets or Jurassic park and could of been test models
except that they were given set numbers. However, the baby dinosaur sets
were comprised of standard blocks for the bodies and specialized tail, head
and neck pieces. The pieces were interchangeable and different sets shared
the same head and tail pieces for example. The adult dinosaur sets used
specialized body pieces but in some cases the same heads and tails as the
baby dinos. The photos were not good quality but the baby dinos were roughly
the same size as the molded dinos from the adventurer sets, The adult dinos
seemed much larger. While I am not a fan of BURPs and POOPs these new sets
excited me for their balance between typical Lego abstraction, realistic
depiction and buildability( I love the sound of that non-word). The pieces
also seemed capable of being used to give MOCs a new kind of non-geometric
plasticity and organic shape. As I said I would much rather see Lego do
these types of animals than the molded kind.

The larger dinos are *definitely* much larger than the Adventurers dinos.  I
was a little disappointed at first with the Juniorised feel of the sets, but
as I studied the images I realised that, in fact, the same pieces (esp. the
body pieces) were used in multiple ways in the different models.  In fact, the
typical larger dino body was, in fact, two of the same piece, connected at the
middle!  It's hard to explain without pictures, but when you see them it'll
make sense.

At any rate, as I kept looking at the pictures I became more and more happy
with these sets.  I imagine they will be popular with anyone who wants to make
big "monsters" to terrorise minifigs (or other scale LEGO figs), from Castle
builders to Space builders to sadistic Town builders who watched too many
monster movies as a kid.  :D

I'm fairly interested in seeing what can be done with them.

eric