 Animation / 149
Re: New LEGO Toys Based on Jurassic Park III
Newsgroups:
lugnet.animation
Date:
Mon, 5 Feb 2001 20:42:44 GMT

In lugnet.publish.cinema, Kyle Peterson writes:
The second set includes unique elements allowing youngsters to <<<< build >>> two Raptors and one Pteranodon dinosaur. This set comes complete with three mini-figures, including male and female “actors” and one cameraman (suggested retail price $19.99 US). The sets are expected to be on store shelves in May prior to the release of the film.

<<<< build >>>> ?????

So is TLG insinuating that instead of the moulded pieces they've been
including in sets such as Adventurers, these animals and dinosaurs will now
need to be built using several pieces?

-Kyle

As per my above post, though many people did not get a chance to see them,
lego sets were pictured which seemed to consist solely of single dinosaur
figures. The ones pictured did not in any way refer to or imply association
with the moviemaker sets or Jurassic park and could of been test models
except that they were given set numbers. However, the baby dinosaur sets
were comprised of standard blocks for the bodies and specialized tail, head
and neck pieces. The pieces were interchangeable and different sets shared
the same head and tail pieces for example. The adult dinosaur sets used
specialized body pieces but in some cases the same heads and tails as the
baby dinos. The photos were not good quality but the baby dinos were roughly
the same size as the molded dinos from the adventurer sets, The adult dinos
seemed much larger. While I am not a fan of BURPs and POOPs these new sets
excited me for their balance between typical Lego abstraction, realistic
depiction and buildability( I love the sound of that non-word). The pieces
also seemed capable of being used to give MOCs a new kind of non-geometric
plasticity and organic shape. As I said I would much rather see Lego do
these types of animals than the molded kind.

Jonathan