 Adventurers / 619
Re: 2000 scans
Newsgroups:
lugnet.adventurers
Date:
Sat, 18 Dec 1999 03:02:50 GMT

In lugnet.adventurers, Richard Franks writes:
In lugnet.adventurers, Mark Lindsey writes:
In lugnet.adventurers, Richard Franks writes:

I have to question the wisdom of this in light of current events.

Question all you want.  I have the right as an American citizen to tell any
other American citizens and anyone else who wants to listen around the world
via the mircle of the internet anything I want.

God Bless America. Actually, I don't really see what your nationality has to • do
with it!

The right of free speech is a cornerstone of American ideology. I did sound a
bit preachy however, and for that I apologize.  I was simply illustrating that
I thought someone telling me not to share information I have with interested
parties was equivalent to sticking a sock in my mouth.  I think that my
nationality is more of a stigma in some cases (I travel overseas alot), and
the perception in many places is that Americans are a loud and extremely self
centered people, with which I must generally agree with ;-) Like us, and the
right of free speech, or not we are going to tend towards releasing any gossip
we can get our hands on.  I am in no way saying that those AFOLs who have a
problem with the 2000 scans being posted are opposed to free speech, I am
merely pointing it out as my justification for openly sharing them.

I told everyone that cared I
had images they might be interested in.  If they wanted them they could email
my personal email account and request them.  No URLs were posted.  No website
containing them was touted.

A URL is a means to access information, emailling you gains the same
information - I don't see that there is much difference. Certainly, many • people
would consider emailling them to 200 people as publicly distributing them.

To this I say, "Read the TLC fairness statement."

And most importantly, no messages from either TLC
(which is looking on) or Todd Lehman (who has had plenty to say about
everything and has closely monitored it all).

I wouldn't assume silence is acceptance. I'd interpret it as a weary silence
trying not to cause greater ripples in the community.

If this threatens the community I would say the community is already in
trouble.  I see this as not a polarizing agent, but a strengthening one.

I think you are quite lucky - LUGNET is specifically not a leak club, and by
using LUGNET to advertise your leak you are on *very* thin ice - by my
understanding of the rules.

I am in no way threatening the well being of LUGNET or TLC.  Think
realistically about my sharing information with other AFOLs.  What could it
possibly do to TLC to bring down fire and brimstone on LUGNET, specifally Todd.

If you still question this I think it is due to your own personal thoughts
and beliefs, to which you are abundantly entitled.

Wow, do you mean that I don't have to become an American citizen to be • entitled
to my own thoughts and beliefs? ;)

Easy there :o

My one line comment was that I didn't see much evidence of wisdom behind your
original post - I still don't!

To each his/her own.

P.S.  Do you want the scans?

What makes you so sure that I'm not sitting on a stack of retailer catalogs
going back to 1983? The scans that you are offering are small fry my friend. I
object to the antagonistic nature of your post - if this was a cause worth
rebelling against then I'd be there all the way.

Well throw me a big fish then.  And if my post is such a small fry then why do
you even care?  You're a rebel are you?

Play well and wait for your 2000 LEGO sets like a good LEGO fan! :)

This is mystifying to me.  Please explain how having a scan makes me a bad
lego fan.  Maybe an informed lego fan is more like it?  Did you look at the
scans?  Are you a bad lego fan?  And while you are at it please tell us all
what a good lego fan is.

Cheers,
Richard

Same to you my friend,