 Adventurers / 557
Re: Any ideas on how to do this with Technic?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic, lugnet.adventurers
Date:
Wed, 1 Dec 1999 16:51:52 GMT

"David Paule" <dpaule@diac.com> writes:

That strange, thick, white gear in the RIS slips with drag that
appears proportional to the rotation rate, so it's a dampener, which
is what you want.

I may very well be wrong, but I don't think this will give the desired
effect.  The friction inside the gear is quite high when there is no
motion, which may be a problem when the mechanism is triggered.  And
what's more, I don't think it will turn smoothly when the platform is
falling downwards.  My experience with the gear is that the friction is
highly variable as the inner part of the gear turns.

Fredrik