 Adventurers / 558
RE: Any ideas on how to do this with Technic?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic, lugnet.adventurers
Date:
Wed, 1 Dec 1999 17:05:31 GMT

If you want to vary the rate at which an object of constant
weight moves, why not use a mechanism like an old postal
scale. No, not the kind that shoots you when you look at it sideways...

It involves a pendulum mounted so that when the object is at one end
of its travel, the pendulum hangs down. As the platform moves, the
pendulum is lifted and the resisitance it provides is proportional to
the sin (sine) of the change in angle.

Try it yourself with a brick. Hold the brick and let your arm
dangle. Now move your arm in an arc. The first few degrees are
pretty easy, but as you move closer to 90 (horizontal) the
"weight" - really the effort - to move your arm is larger.

Does this help?

Cheers,

Ralph Hempel - P.Eng

<http://www.hempeldesigngroup.com/lego/pbFORTH>