 Administrative / Terms of Use / 427
Re: Advertising on lugnet
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.terms
Date:
Wed, 16 Oct 2002 13:34:11 GMT

In lugnet.admin.terms, John Barnes writes:
I recently noticed an unabashed advertisment placed in the robotics group
and I've been trying to figure out if advertising is appropriate or not in
those kinds of groups (as opposed to the market areas).

I think the intent is that it is not, unless the group specifically allows
it. See this thread (this is a post from the middle... but it has a proposed
clarification in terms that seemed to be well received and that addresses
this very point)

http://news.lugnet.com/admin/terms/?n=421

However, isn't .robotics a special case? Not special in that it ought to be
exempt from the rules per se, but special in terms of difficulty of
enforcement. See the header of the group: http://news.lugnet.com/robotics/
where it describes that this is a gatewayed group that shares posts with a
mailing list.

I'm not sure which post you're referring to, so I don't know if it came from
the mailing list or not, but if it did, I suspect enforcement will require a
lot of finesse, or not be possible.

Hope that helps.