 Administrative / Terms of Use / 319
Re: Identity Theft
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.terms
Date:
Fri, 15 Jun 2001 23:36:01 GMT

In lugnet.admin.terms, Matthew Gerber writes:

How can someone steal your identity? By co-opting your name, Social Security
number, credit card number, or some other piece of your personal information
for their own use. In short, identity theft occurs when someone appropriates
your personal information without your knowledge to commit fraud or theft.
[snipped lots more]

I think the problem here is that no fraud or theft has been committed
(note IANAL!).  The other regs you quoted implied a similar requirement.
*However*, if paid membership were a requirement for posting,
and the identity theft was used to circumvent that requirement, then
it would be fraud.  But good luck pursuing anything in that regard
when the measurable damages would be about 10 bucks.

We'll have to figure out our own way to deal with this stuff..., I
doubt the law will help us.

KDJ
LUGNETer #203, Windsor, Ontario, Canada