 Administrative / Terms of Use / 316
Re: Identity Theft
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.terms
Date:
Fri, 25 May 2001 23:35:53 GMT

Further, this is a criminal act which needs to be reported to your local law
enforcement agency, and to the Federal Communications Commission (FTC). You
can lodge a complaint against the individual in question by submitting form
OMB # 3084-0047 with the FTC at the following web site:
http://www.consumer.gov/idtheft/

Please help bring a halt to this destructive behavior on LUGNET by 1)
reporting identity theft to the appropriate authorities as outlined above,
and 2) refusing to respond to any newsgroup posting or e-mail from the
individual in question.

I don't know what the "blatant identity thefts" were, but:

Do the feds _really_ want to hear about usenet posts with spoofed IDs? Not
judging by the site that you linked to. Please point out the relevant part
that I missed.

A little more information would help me determine whether your post relates
to ID theft as it is known in the real world or if we are talking about the
lugnet universe. If this was the exposed tip of some joke that I just didn't
get, please disregard.