 Administrative / Terms of Use / 317
Re: Identity Theft
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.terms
Date:
Fri, 25 May 2001 23:38:27 GMT

If you missed it, here are some clarifying comments.
In lugnet.admin.terms, Matthew Gerber writes:
To the LUGNET membership,

I have seen two blatant cases of identity theft in LUGNET newsgroups today
(2001.05.24).
Specifically, an individual who has been banned for Violations of the TOS,
and who continues to post under "stolen" identities.
This is in direct violation of the sections 'Acknowledgment and Acceptance
of Terms of Use (6)' and 'Discussion Group Terms and Conditions (1-6, 10)'
as stated in the LUGNET TERMS OF USE AGREEMENT (Version 1.0.1, 7 Mar 2000).

This (violating the communities rules) is excactly why this individual's
posting privileges were revoked in the first place

Further, this is a criminal act which needs to be reported to your local law
enforcement agency, and to the Federal Communications Commission (FTC). You
can lodge a complaint against the individual in question by submitting form
OMB # 3084-0047 with the FTC at the following web site:
http://www.consumer.gov/idtheft/

I'm not certain that there is any criminal behaviour here, as it pertains to
the spirit of the law, but this is something that needs to be looked into.
This individual cannot "play by the rules", and then fails to understand why
their privilege is revoked.  Instead of working to achieve a common good,
his desire seems to be to "intellectualize" the process, portraying us as
individuals who are afraid of his superior critical intellect.

I have kept this post purposeful and informative, free of personal opinion
or emotion, in the hope that LUGNET can return to its normal business of
adult fans of LEGO discussing their hobby and passion in a clean, safe
on-line environment.

This is truly a good example of a non biased post, alerting the rest of us
to a new, and definately troubling problem for our community.  Steps need to
be taken to ensure the safety of our online identities, and we should be
willing to pay for it.

It's time to stand up for Todd and the community he has created.  If you
don't want to abide by the rules you signed up with, go elsewhere.  We don't
need psuedo espionage or activism in a private community dedicated to the
recreational endeavors of it's participants.  Go someplace else and start
your own community if you can't live up to your word. jon Furman

"don't ruin our show you hoser!"  - Bob McKenzie