 Administrative / Terms of Use / 147
Re: This will get someone upset...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate, lugnet.admin.terms, lugnet.faq
Date:
Thu, 13 Jul 2000 19:38:35 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Marc Cook writes:
I've noticed a few people like posting their signature files
on Lugnet or a "signature" like saluation.   I think degree
posting a quote, or a link to your lego pages is fine.
[snip]

1.  As long as a signature is short (four lines or under is
best), it doesn't really matter what the content is, as long
as it's not offensive in a way that violates the charter of the
newsgroup you are posting to.

2.  It may not be important for lugnet readers to know that
Joe was senior software engineer on the old-gnus-is-good-gnus
development team.  But usenet is broader in scope than that.
If someone is posting on C++ and other development forums, it
may be very advantageous for them to identify themselves by
their job title or company.  Don't assume that lugnet is the
only place people post, and it could be a bother to switch .sig
files on a site-by-site or group-by-group basis.

3.  Why do you really care?  A signature is a place for self-expression,
and identification, and as long as it doesn't exceed the boundaries
of good taste or usenet ettiquette, you shouldn't really bother
letting other people know that their sig file annoys you.

Best regards, Jeff

--

jthompson@esker.com   "Float on a river, forever and ever, Emily"