 Off-Topic / Debate / 6018
Re: This will get someone upset...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate, lugnet.admin.terms, lugnet.faq
Date:
Thu, 13 Jul 2000 15:54:29 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Marc Cook writes:
I've noticed a few people like posting their signature files
on Lugnet or a "signature" like saluation.  I think degree
posting a quote, or a link to your lego pages is fine.
What I really see as bragging and I feel is really annoying is posting
your title or position at your company on Lugnet posts.
I mean I could give a rat's butt what you do for a living. Is this
necessary?  Am I missing something?  Is there a reason for this?
Perhaps people worked hard in life to earn "sr administrator" or
"Network Engineer" and like to post it to show their status in life.
But really it looks down right ridiculous.  Unless a person's title
at their company is in some way associated to their post it really
should be banned.  If you work for a hot company or hold a cool
position it won't make me think less or more of you.  If you post
it at the end of your Lugnet posts I'll think less.  I'm sure
there are others that agree with my view.
I am, however, open to hearing the reverse arguement.  Or admission
by doers of this to face up to their braggistical ways.. (is that
a word?)

Signed,

- Marc

I generally agree with Marc on this one. I don't think there's anything LUGNet
can or should do to ban or even discourage this kind of thing, and as freedom
of speech has already been mentioned in others' replies, I won't rehash that
reasoning here.

But I would like to say that company names and positions being placed in every
post is too similar to that friend or relative we all have who can't say, "my
car keys", they have to say, "the keys to my Lexus".
Or who can't say, "I can't cook", they have to say, "I'm more comfortable
behind the controls of a Cessna than in the kitchen."

You just want to sit them down and explain to them that you don't respect them
for their high-powered and high-paying job or for their technical skills, you
respect them for the kind of person they are, and how they treat you as a
friend.

If it's your default sig, and it's imperative for other business on the same
account, then by all means, don't think you have to change. That is a
perfectly ligitimate reason for having it there.

But if you're putting it there as some kind of justification for you to be
taken seriously on LUGNet, then just know that you're an AFOL, and that's good
enough for us, okay?

-Adam   8^D

-- Number crunching peon among peons.
   National Institute for Trial Advocacy