 Administrative / Terms of Use / 146
Re: This will get someone upset...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate, lugnet.admin.terms, lugnet.faq
Date:
Thu, 13 Jul 2000 18:26:11 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Marc Cook writes:
In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Jeff Johnston writes:
In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Marc Cook writes:
I've noticed a few people like posting their signature files
on Lugnet or a "signature" like saluation.   I think degree
posting a quote, or a link to your lego pages is fine.

What I really see as bragging and I feel is really annoying is posting
your title or position at your company on Lugnet posts. • <snip>
If you work for a hot company or hold a cool
position it won't make me think less or more of you.  If you post
it at the end of your Lugnet posts I'll think less.  I'm sure
there are others that agree with my view.

I don't.  I personally don't care one way or another.  If someone posted
their entire resume into a .sig file, that could get annoying, but if it
sticks to the long-accepted USENET standard of ~4 lines, then it doesn't
take up too much space, it's not annoying to delete in a reply, etc. - in
short, there's no reason not to allow it.

You're missing my point.  I mentioned the part of signature files
that really are uneccesary --- posting your job title and position.

I didn't miss it at all.  That's what my reply to you was about.  I then
went on to state another, related point: I believe that short .sigs
(regardless of content) are much less annoying than long ones.

signature files that have a quote that you like,

Even if it's not relevant to LEGO?  OK.  So we've established that
LEGO-relevance is not a necessity for LUGNET .sigs.  Why do you think
quotes are OK but posting your profession isn't?

Isn't the purpose of a .sig to tell people about you - to identify you?
A quote tells people something about you.  So does including your company
& profession.  Neither one have LEGO relevance.  What's the difference?

What is the source of this rather bizarre pet peeve of yours?  I'm very
curious, just because it seems so strange to me.