 Administrative / Suggestions / 805
Re: Message awaiting authentication
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.suggestions
Date:
Mon, 1 Dec 2003 16:52:53 GMT

In lugnet.faq, Neb Okla wrote:
I don't want to use the web client.  It's clunky.

With NNTP, I can read posts offline, choose my NNTP client (thus finding a
UI that is right for me), etc.

I should start by saying I've never used NNTP, or even seen it in action
However I fail to see whats wrong with the web client, its by far the best
method of organising online forums that I have seen on the web, both by it's
navigation and its style. The nature of the web means that even if you read your
posts in another way you will still need to open your browser to veiw links and
references anyway.
If you really want to read posts offline you could always subscribe to
news-by-mail and choose your own (caching) mail client. You can still write
replies off-line and send when you connect. (you do have to authenticate tho' so
you've still got that problem).

sorry to sound negative, just expressing my liking for the web client really.

(PS, the web client allows you to do far more, for example I can look up +lars'
Lugnet homepage to find out what he's like ;)  I don't beleive (correct me if
I'm wrong) that elements like this are available on NNTP)

Tim