 Administrative / Suggestions / 659
Re: quoted-printable support
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.suggestions, lugnet.admin.nntp
Date:
Tue, 20 May 2003 22:49:23 GMT

In lugnet.admin.suggestions, William R. Ward writes:
You could always use Text::Wrap to reformat anything over 80 characters...

Unfortunately, Text::Wrap doesn't handle mail- and news-style quotations, and
would happily convert:

to (bad):

    quoted text

instead of to (good):

The biggest problem is the =3D in Brickshelf URL's.  Even a special
case to change =3D to = would be a huge help.

I agree.

I assumed you would store the message without any changes, and convert
it when displaying the message, perhaps with a cache for performance
if needed.

I actually want to get rid of quoted-printable altogether -- as completely
and as early as possible in the cycle (e.g., as soon as the message is
received) and convert the message back to the way it was originall generated
by the sender.  That way it doesn't get propagated outward through NNTP and
SMTP as quoted-printable, which would be undesirable because not all
newsreaders handle quoted-printable encoding natively.  Some MTAs may even
choke on lines longer than, say, 512 bytes, if they aren't wrapped properly.

Quoted-printable is just a message-transfer encoding.  Old MTAs (message
transfer agents) couldn't handle 8-bit data, so someone came up with quoted-
printable as a way to encode 8-bit data in 7-bit ASCII.

The standard thing to do when converting 'quoted-printable' to '8bit' is to
fix the Content-Transfer-Encoding header:

   (OLD)  Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable
   (NEW)  Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit

and add an informational header saying:

All an MTA has to do is essentially

   $body =~ s{=\n}{}g;
   $body =~ s{=([0-9A-Fa-f]{2})}{chr(hex($1))}eg;

and regenerate the 'Lines:' header if needed.  The additional step of wrapping
excessively long lines intelligently isn't something an MTA typically does,
AFAIK.

--Todd