 Administrative / Suggestions / 651
Re: quoted-printable support
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.suggestions, lugnet.admin.nntp
Date:
Fri, 16 May 2003 01:51:56 GMT

In lugnet.admin.suggestions, William R. Ward writes:
[...]
LUGNET should detect this and convert the =NN codes to the appropriate
characters (NN is the hexadecimal value for the encoded characters).

Heh heh, funny you should mention that...  Last night I was just thinking
about this again and am 98% ready to deploy a fix.  I've really noticed the
increase in these posts lately too (especially coming in through the
News-by-Mail gateways).

A which back, Dan Boger contributed a Perl5 script which does the conversion
to 8bit content transfer encoding.  We did a bunch of regression testing,
feeding it old article data, but then it fell between the cracks.  The open
issue is what to do with lines greater than 80 columns...  The
quoted-printable transfer encoding decodes to some pretty nasty long lines
in some cases.  I'm tempted to simply word-wrap lines that don't begin with '>'.