 Administrative / Suggestions / 1100
Re: Response highlighting
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.suggestions
Date:
Thu, 20 Jan 2005 19:08:48 GMT

In lugnet.admin.suggestions, Leonard Hoffman wrote:

   In lugnet.admin.suggestions, Felix Greco wrote:
   But, can we do something about these responses in flame wars being spotlighted and making it to the top stories area?

Currently, there are variable spotlight weights provided so that some newsgroups are prefered over other newsgroups.

The hoped for effect is that MOCs will be on the mainpage more than fruitless discussion. You’ll notice that several groups have automatic anti-spotlights, such as otd and .color.

The problem with the recent posting nightmare is that the original post spammed so many newsgroups, that it got around the -2 spotlight that color usually carries.

And that’s another anticrossposting argument I have.... it circumvents weightings. For the record Ben has apologised for his inappropriate excessive crossposting.

The key problem is that people tend to only spotlight a lot during flame wars - meaning, they don’t usually spotlight cool MOCs (they tend to either visit the BrickShelf gallery or make a reply). SO the end result is that every now and then a flamewar in .color, which gets an auto -2, will gain enough spotlights to outweigh the .announce.moc +5.

I think that’s a valid concern. But I DO think people spotlight good mocs a bit more than they were (and I would encourage people to continue to spotlight good MOCs!!!! it is always a good thing to do, but especially in “times of turbulence”)

   But this is an issue that we are looking into.

Indeed it is!