 Administrative / NNTP / 867
Re: A possible enhancement idea
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.nntp
Date:
Wed, 20 Jun 2001 23:19:00 GMT

On Wed, Jun 20, 2001 at 09:52:16PM +0000, LUGNET Admin wrote:
Each post could be displayed with a set of buttons placed next to each one
(or perhaps checkboxes beside each message and one set of buttons).  It
would work similar to the way a web-based email reader works (like AOL's
web-based email, anyway).  And only the messages referred to by the several
authentication numbers posted to the website would be displayed.

I think it's "safe" enough, and fairly straightforward to implement, but it
would be pretty slow to pass multiple articles through on a single form
click, due to the way the HTTP server talks to the NNTP server, and I'd be
worried about people hitting Stop or Esc when it goes past 5 seconds.  An
intermediate solution might be to display the articles one-by-one and
advance to the next one when the Post It button is clicked, or maybe to do
that in groups of three articles, or something.

can't just fork the job to the background, say "It's done!", so the user
can go on it's way, and the server take it's sweet (niced :) time posting
the articles?

--
Dan Boger / dan@peeron.com / www.peeron.com / ICQ: 1130750
<set:8216_1>:  Turbo I (LEGO/TECHNIC/Tech Play/Starter), '97, 91 pcs