 Administrative / NNTP / 821 (-20)
  Re: E-mail authentication during posting

(...) Personally, I am not a big fan of doing anything IP based. There are far too many problems. AOL dials, multiple computers (I regularly use three myself) and many other issues have made me decide against this method time and time again. <END (...) (23 years ago, 19-Jun-01, to lugnet.admin.nntp)

  Re: E-mail authentication during posting

(...) IP addresses can easily be spoofed, as long as you don't need an interactive session... as in, if I just need to send an HTTP POST, and don't need to read the reply, I can spoof the source ip with no problem. :/ (23 years ago, 19-Jun-01, to lugnet.admin.nntp)

  Re: E-mail authentication during posting

(...) Not currently, no. Let me think about IP-based authentication for a while. (...) This I can definitely do, but it will have to be at least somewhat interactive so that someone doesn't accidentally cause a message to get posted simply by (...) (23 years ago, 19-Jun-01, to lugnet.admin.nntp)

  Re: E-mail authentication during posting

(...) What Dan said, plus I think IP addresses could be spoofed... ++Lar (23 years ago, 19-Jun-01, to lugnet.admin.nntp)

  Re: E-mail authentication during posting

(...) but by doing that, you'll be breaking the whole authentication process - If I know that you have such a rule that auto authorizes posts by you, I can spoof posts as you with no problem... your auto-reply will authorize them without (...) (23 years ago, 19-Jun-01, to lugnet.admin.nntp)

  Re: lugnet.build.sculpture?

(...) I would definitely read it. Possibly post every once in a while (not just me2/oh wow posts either!). I'm hoping on making some sculptures, like the Little Prince, maybe a dolphin, a baby, other stuff... someday when I have enough pieces? ;-) (...) (23 years ago, 19-Jun-01, to lugnet.admin.nntp)

  Re: lugnet.build.sculpture?

(...) I agree. If there's a ton of mosaic traffic, there could always be lugnet.build.sculpture.mosaic - but that seems unlikely to be needed any time soon. Todd, what do you think? --Bill. (23 years ago, 19-Jun-01, to lugnet.admin.nntp)

  Re: E-mail authentication during posting

(...) Ditto. I have a static IP as well. But I think it's possible people may post from more than one place, so if this is done, it should be allowed to enter more than one IP address, or to allow the authentication mechanism to work if you are not (...) (23 years ago, 19-Jun-01, to lugnet.admin.nntp)

  Re: E-mail authentication during posting

This is really annoying and is impacting my posting frequency. Since I use a cable modem, I'm always posting from the same IP address. Is there any way to enter an IP address as "authorized" to be myself? If that won't work, how about making it so (...) (23 years ago, 19-Jun-01, to lugnet.admin.nntp)

  Re: E-mail authentication during posting

(...) Todd, I know you didn't ask for suggestions and probably don't want any, but I'm going to throw one out anyway. Would it be possible to concatenate the confirmation messages for a given time-period into one message? It would remove the instant (...) (23 years ago, 18-Jun-01, to lugnet.admin.nntp)

  Re: E-mail authentication during posting

"Mark Sandlin" <sandlin@nwlink.com> wrote in message news:GF55F7.Bp4@lugnet.com... (...) I have to agree with Mark. We also post via newsreader and this new method of posting will probably drop the number of messages I post. I also have the problem (...) (23 years ago, 18-Jun-01, to lugnet.admin.nntp)

  Re: NNTP Posting Broken?

(...) Aha! GOT IT!!! It was totally random and it was happening a LOT. (Now please don't laugh when I tell you what it was :-) (...) It turns out, this was just something stupid that I did. I'm *really* glad this was something that was my fault and (...) (23 years ago, 18-Jun-01, to lugnet.admin.nntp)

  Re: E-mail authentication during posting

(...) Hmm, interesting, as I'm typing this response, the compose window is still up but shaded as if it's still trying to post... (23 years ago, 18-Jun-01, to lugnet.admin.nntp)

  Re: E-mail authentication during posting

(...) My idea was provide a link to a place where I can more easily confirm a bunch of messages, perhaps on my login screen or something. In any case, you would only be able to get to the pending messages for the user your browser is logged into. (23 years ago, 18-Jun-01, to lugnet.admin.nntp)

  Re: NNTP Posting Broken?

(...) Oh! OK, hmmm... Thanks, that's good to know. Hmmm, must generate more clues. :-) OK, so at least it's consistant in that when it decides to drop something, it's not even putting it in the pending area. (23 years ago, 18-Jun-01, to lugnet.admin.nntp)

  Re: NNTP Posting Broken?

(...) Just got the authenticates for those. None of those are the ones which didn't make it. (23 years ago, 18-Jun-01, to lugnet.admin.nntp)

  Re: E-mail authentication during posting

(...) Wouldn't that allow a determined spoofer to wait till it was obvious that someone known to be a member was logged in (say if he saw a flurry of posts from you in .pirate within a few min of each other) and then spoof as you, at least as long (...) (23 years ago, 18-Jun-01, to lugnet.admin.nntp)

  Re: E-mail authentication during posting

(...) Wouldn't that allow a determined spoofer to wait till it was obvious that someone known to be a member was logged in (say if he saw a flurry of posts from you in .pirate within a few min of each other) and then spoof as you, at least as long (...) (23 years ago, 18-Jun-01, to lugnet.admin.nntp)

  Re: NNTP Posting Broken?

(...) I think you're right -- something is broken. I'm sure it's entirely fixable. I'll enable more logging and get to the bottom of it. Likely, it's something broken in the code I just added. It's extremely rare (as far as I'm aware) that (...) (23 years ago, 18-Jun-01, to lugnet.admin.nntp)

  Re: E-mail authentication during posting

(...) I think so too. I see three live messages from you and none in the pending area. Digging... (23 years ago, 18-Jun-01, to lugnet.admin.nntp)

Redisplay Messages:  All | Compact