 Administrative / NNTP / 811 (-20)
  Re: E-mail authentication during posting

"Mark Sandlin" <sandlin@nwlink.com> wrote in message news:GF55F7.Bp4@lugnet.com... (...) I have to agree with Mark. We also post via newsreader and this new method of posting will probably drop the number of messages I post. I also have the problem (...) (23 years ago, 18-Jun-01, to lugnet.admin.nntp)

  Re: NNTP Posting Broken?

(...) Aha! GOT IT!!! It was totally random and it was happening a LOT. (Now please don't laugh when I tell you what it was :-) (...) It turns out, this was just something stupid that I did. I'm *really* glad this was something that was my fault and (...) (23 years ago, 18-Jun-01, to lugnet.admin.nntp)

  Re: E-mail authentication during posting

(...) Hmm, interesting, as I'm typing this response, the compose window is still up but shaded as if it's still trying to post... (23 years ago, 18-Jun-01, to lugnet.admin.nntp)

  Re: E-mail authentication during posting

(...) My idea was provide a link to a place where I can more easily confirm a bunch of messages, perhaps on my login screen or something. In any case, you would only be able to get to the pending messages for the user your browser is logged into. (23 years ago, 18-Jun-01, to lugnet.admin.nntp)

  Re: NNTP Posting Broken?

(...) Oh! OK, hmmm... Thanks, that's good to know. Hmmm, must generate more clues. :-) OK, so at least it's consistant in that when it decides to drop something, it's not even putting it in the pending area. (23 years ago, 18-Jun-01, to lugnet.admin.nntp)

  Re: NNTP Posting Broken?

(...) Just got the authenticates for those. None of those are the ones which didn't make it. (23 years ago, 18-Jun-01, to lugnet.admin.nntp)

  Re: E-mail authentication during posting

(...) Wouldn't that allow a determined spoofer to wait till it was obvious that someone known to be a member was logged in (say if he saw a flurry of posts from you in .pirate within a few min of each other) and then spoof as you, at least as long (...) (23 years ago, 18-Jun-01, to lugnet.admin.nntp)

  Re: E-mail authentication during posting

(...) Wouldn't that allow a determined spoofer to wait till it was obvious that someone known to be a member was logged in (say if he saw a flurry of posts from you in .pirate within a few min of each other) and then spoof as you, at least as long (...) (23 years ago, 18-Jun-01, to lugnet.admin.nntp)

  Re: NNTP Posting Broken?

(...) I think you're right -- something is broken. I'm sure it's entirely fixable. I'll enable more logging and get to the bottom of it. Likely, it's something broken in the code I just added. It's extremely rare (as far as I'm aware) that (...) (23 years ago, 18-Jun-01, to lugnet.admin.nntp)

  Re: E-mail authentication during posting

(...) I think so too. I see three live messages from you and none in the pending area. Digging... (23 years ago, 18-Jun-01, to lugnet.admin.nntp)

  Re: NNTP Posting Broken?

(...) Maybe... maybe it will engender a switch in posting source distribution to favor web more... And I suppose no one that is a fan of SMTP or NNTP wants to hear this.. but the impact to me while I am on my personal machine has been exactly zero. (...) (23 years ago, 18-Jun-01, to lugnet.admin.nntp)

  Re: E-mail authentication during posting

Hi Todd, I understand the reasons for doing this, but unfortunately, I used a newsreader to check LUGNet. Now if I want to post, I'll have to go to my browser, look up the newsgroup, find the message I want to respond to, and then post. Needless to (...) (23 years ago, 18-Jun-01, to lugnet.admin.nntp)

  Re: E-mail authentication during posting

Well, I understand the problem, but also see another one with this. For people personally paying for their bandwith it will just be even more expensive. I tested only one message now, but how about checking several messages at once? Or a better (...) (23 years ago, 18-Jun-01, to lugnet.admin.nntp, lugnet.general)

  Re: E-mail authentication during posting (test reply)

(...) (23 years ago, 18-Jun-01, to lugnet.admin.nntp)

  Re: E-mail authentication during posting

Thanks Todd, I just tried a test message and it worked flawlessly. I'm glad that you came up with a solution quickly. (23 years ago, 18-Jun-01, to lugnet.admin.nntp)

  Re: E-mail authentication during posting

my messages are getting lost in the verification system. i.e. I sent five messages and only got one verification request. Rose Rose "LUGNET Admin" <todd@lugnet.com> wrote in message news:GF40AG.31A@lugnet.com... (...) forged (...) authenticated (...) (23 years ago, 18-Jun-01, to lugnet.admin.nntp)

  Re: NNTP Posting Broken?

"Frank Filz" <ffilz@mindspring.com> wrote in message news:3B2E1051.1F1A@m...ing.com... (...) I've had 1 post go astray and not received an email confirmation for it. This is what I feared might happen - relying on multiple protocols to achieve a (...) (23 years ago, 18-Jun-01, to lugnet.admin.nntp)

  Re: E-mail authentication during posting

(...) But it has to be easy to create a new account -- otherwise, new people would be scared off. So having one of those revoked isn't very meaningful. (23 years ago, 18-Jun-01, to lugnet.admin.nntp)

  Re: NNTP Posting Broken?

(...) Yup, it did. I'm not sure what the heck the pattern is. I hope there's enough stuff in the logs for Todd to diagnose the problem. (23 years ago, 18-Jun-01, to lugnet.admin.nntp)

  Re: NNTP Posting Broken?

(...) Hmm, that one actually went through. Let's see if this response does. (23 years ago, 18-Jun-01, to lugnet.admin.nntp)

Redisplay Messages:  All | Compact