 Administrative / NNTP / 801
Re: NNTP Posting Broken?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.nntp
Date:
Mon, 18 Jun 2001 19:45:27 GMT

In lugnet.admin.nntp, Frank Filz writes:
Ok, perhaps I'm overreacting, but it seems that NNTP replying is broken. A
reply to my own post seems to have just gone in the bit bucket. Hmm, I was
getting authentications almost immediately, now I'm still haven't got one for >a test post.

Well, Todd had said he really wanted to avoid having to do authentication. I
had supposed that it could be done without too much pain, but it looks like
it's pretty painful. I hope this doesn't cause folks to give up on Lugnet, I
feel like my posting may go way down, I'm not sure yet.

Maybe... maybe it will engender a switch in posting source distribution to
favor web more...

And I suppose no one that is a fan of SMTP or NNTP wants to hear this.. but
the impact to me while I am on my personal machine has been exactly zero.
(which I love)

I am signed in all the time and so I don't get authentication. At this point
I would say that if someone forges posts from me it would be my fault for
allowing either my email or web passwords to be hacked, and ought to be an
actionable item against ME for not being properly secure.

From this web user's/member's perspective, what Todd did is pretty clever
indeed and I'm loving it.

++Lar