 Administrative / NNTP / 66
Re: Problem with Unix tin and Lugnet
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.nntp
Date:
Fri, 4 Aug 2000 03:48:57 GMT

Todd, I tried both trn and slrn on a .newsrc file that tin wouldn't read.
They handled it just fine.  I've also tried deleting and re-creating
.newsrc several times, as well as subscribing to different sets of
groups, to see if that would have any effect.  No luck with that either.

It's a strange problem.  Why just two groups and no more?  Weird....

I'll play around with it some more, but I have a feeling I may have to
switch to a different newsreader.  Let me know if you have any other
suggestions.

Steve

Todd Lehman <lehman@javanet.com> wrote:

: Steve,
: Another thing to try:  Rename (back up) your .newsrc file to something like
: .newsrc.xyz and then re-run tin and let it load up everything starting from
: scratch...  If it works there when you subscribe to multiple newsgroups (it
: worked for me when I just tried it with 5 random groups), then it's probably
: something wrong or corrupt with your configuration, which would be a good
: sign because then it's something that can probably be fixed or worked around
: easily.

: --Todd

: p.s.  The tin on my system reports itself (tin -V) as pre-1.4 release
: 19990517 -- earlier than the one you were running.  Probably not much help.