 Administrative / NNTP / 483
Re: The Relationship - LEGO and its Fans (was: Re: Official vs. unofficial LEGO postings)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.nntp, lugnet.lego.direct
Date:
Fri, 16 Mar 2001 17:08:16 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

In lugnet.admin.nntp, Jude Beaudin writes:

Boo Hoo, LEGO employees have to change email addresses if posting officially
or not. STOP THE WORLD WE WANNA GET OFF!!!

Have you actually tried this process to see what a PITA it is? I suspect not.

Once you try it, consider what it would be like to have to do it several
times a day or more. I doubt you've considered that either.

Computers *exist* to make things easier for us. That's the reason we
invented them.

People who use computers to make things harder instead of easier without a
darn good reason for it are fools. The market will steamroller them
eventually. People who support other people making things harder are fools too.

In lugnet.admin.nntp, Marc Nelson, Jr. writes:

I'm certainly confused. A few months ago people were citing the Cluetrain
Manifesto and begging for LEGO to talk to us. Now we want to box them into one
little space on LUGNET because all LEGO wants is (gasp!) money.

I certainly understand that people don't want LEGO hawking their stuff all >over
the place, but what's wrong with them doing it the same way everybody else
does? If they have a train contest to announce, I would think it would go in
.build.contests, and .trains. I don't understand why LEGO employees have to be
restricted as to where they can post.

I have a bad feeling that what is going to happen real soon is that LEGO will
say, "forget it" to even trying to communicate with the AFOL community through
LUGNET. And who could blame them? Just as they were starting to really
communicate with us (as in back-and-forth dialogue as opposed to one LEGO post
followed by AFOL discussion), we pull the rug out from under them. When
somebody refers to LEGO's presence on LUGNET as leaving a "slime trail", I can
see how they might not feel welcome.

What he said! Not just somebody, either, but one of the coadministrators and
thought leaders, too.

I'd like to see the "slime trail" (rather slimy in its own right) remark
rationalised away, it should make for interesting reading... Hook in with
"They exist to make money, but I don't mean that making money is a bad thing
but boy, it's polluting LUGNET as FANS talking to FANS, so it has to stop
except in some tiny box"... Square it with "I'm not a fan but you would be
incorrect to assume that I'm not a fan" while you're at it.

What IS IT with this chip on your shoulders, guys?

So maybe LEGO will decide it needs to do an end around LUGNET to
actually get  to us. Is that what we want? LEGO to be excluded
from this community and  forced  to talk to us via email lists
or a bulletin board on lego.com (ugh, I don't even want to think
about what that would be like)? I think it is in  everybody's
(LEGO's and ours) best interest to keep LEGO as an active and
valued member of the LUGNET community. But, given the current
trend towards shutting LEGO empolyees out of 99% of LUGNET, it
looks like that might be coming to an end.

I wonder if FBTB(tm) would consider widening scope of their discussion
forums to include more than just Starwars(tm)? Or if Brickset(tm) would
consider hosting discussions? Or if Brickbay(tm) would widen its scope to
more than just commerce?

I think the time is ripe for some competition. RTL, er that is, LUGNET(tm),
just isn't the way it used to be in the good old days.

Oh, and for the folks who were complaining that TLC gets a little free
advert when they post something (at a good price) we're all slavering to buy
anyway... TLC gave LUGNET 5 large, unless Todd gave it back in a fit of
pique. No strings attached, so I guess it's OK to bite the hand that feeds you.

Man, this has me spun up.

++Lar