 Administrative / NNTP / 484
Re: The Relationship - LEGO and its Fans (was: Re: Official vs. unofficial LEGO postings)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.nntp
Date:
Fri, 16 Mar 2001 17:12:51 GMT

In lugnet.admin.nntp, Larry Pieniazek writes:
In lugnet.admin.nntp, Eric Joslin writes:

This move doesn't tell LEGO to leave Lugnet completely.  It asks them to
restrict their activities to a certain portion of the server.  They can still
post *any* information they want to there.  So, I ask you:  How does this
move
harm "anyone", or the community?

Examples have been given. That you choose to ignore them is your choice but
doesn't change what reality actually is.

Wow, you're on a big reality kick today.  Interesting.

Anyway, without getting all needlessly philosophical, you wouldn't mind
pointing out where those examples are, would you?  I can't think of any example
that's been given that really illustrates how this move hurts anything.

And if you're going to whip out your weak "plowed ground/I'm not going to do
your legwork for you" argument, don't bother.  That tactic pretty much serves
only to prove that you're making statements you can't back up.

Switching identities is a PITA. Try it.

So?  That effects one, maybe two people.  The benefits to the community make
for a much more convincing argument.

So the net effect of this new rule is that when an answer to a question
asked in a theme group is known it won't be given in the group where it
belongs, if it's given at all. And now we have to go through the rigamarole
of copying it over to the group where it belongs. What a waste of time and
effort.

No, the *real* net effect is to move official LEGO communications to the place
they were always intended to go- and therefore strengthen the core values of
Lugnet (ie, Fan interaction).  This doesn't hamper LD talking to fans in any
real way that anyone has yet identified.

Yes, they cannot post their answers to theme groups.  So what?  They can still
post them.  They can still post them *in the thread*.  Web users, and savvy
NNTP users, will be able to follow them to their heart's delight.  Email users
complaining about "more email" need to re-examine what it means to sign up for
a mailing list in the first place.

Meanwhile, the highlight feature will presumably still work in the
lugnet.lego.* groups, so if anything really important/interesting gets said,
you can highlight/spotlight it and move on.

You say "Not every TLC employee is an AFOL". Duh.

You know it, I know it... but some folks seem to need to be constantly reminded
of it.

But the people from
LD who post here *are* AFOLs

Brad is an AFOL?  Tomas Clark is?  I know that Jake McKee is.

and it is a sad day when LUGNET makes it hard
for them to *be* AFOLs.

Participating in Lugnet is synonymous with being an AFOL?  Not being able to
easily post in theme groups means they can't go home and build, or go out and
buy sets?

Jeez, ++Lar, even for you that was a lousy bit of rhetoric.

eric