 Administrative / NNTP / 488
Re: The Relationship - LEGO and its Fans (was: Re: Official vs. unofficial LEGO postings)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.nntp
Date:
Fri, 16 Mar 2001 17:34:41 GMT

In lugnet.admin.nntp, Eric Joslin writes:
In lugnet.admin.nntp, Larry Pieniazek writes:

Anyway, without getting all needlessly philosophical, you wouldn't mind
pointing out where those examples are, would you?  I can't think of any >example
that's been given that really illustrates how this move hurts anything.

The Bionicle thread is a perfectly good example. That theme group was in
sore need of some official answers, in that group. One of the key askers of
questions has already posted to this thread in support of the ability to get
answers put where they belong, in the group where they were asked.

And if you're going to whip out your weak "plowed ground/I'm not going to do
your legwork for you" argument, don't bother.  That tactic pretty much serves
only to prove that you're making statements you can't back up.

No, it serves to shut up the endless repetition of the same explanation over
and over again. Since you haven't yet demonstrated terminal inability to
grasp points, it doesn't apply here.

Switching identities is a PITA. Try it.

So?  That effects one, maybe two people.  The benefits to the community make
for a much more convincing argument.

Go ahead and make that argument. It hasn't been made.

But it's not about the number of people affected, it's about the quality of
discussion. I'd rather make things easy for people that have important
things to say than make things comfy for "me too!" MOC posters.

So the net effect of this new rule is that when an answer to a question
asked in a theme group is known it won't be given in the group where it
belongs, if it's given at all. And now we have to go through the rigamarole
of copying it over to the group where it belongs. What a waste of time and
effort.

No, the *real* net effect is to move official LEGO communications to the place
they were always intended to go- and therefore strengthen the core values of
Lugnet (ie, Fan interaction).  This doesn't hamper LD talking to fans in any
real way that anyone has yet identified.

Answering questions posed by fans in the appropriate group.

Yes, they cannot post their answers to theme groups.  So what?  They can still
post them.  They can still post them *in the thread*.  Web users, and savvy
NNTP users, will be able to follow them to their heart's delight.

Computers exist to make things easy. Using them to make things hard for no
good reason is foolish. Those that support doing so for no good reason are
fools.

++Lar