 Administrative / NNTP / 492
Re: The Relationship - LEGO and its Fans (was: Re: Official vs. unofficial LEGO postings)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.nntp
Date:
Fri, 16 Mar 2001 17:56:43 GMT

In lugnet.admin.nntp, Larry Pieniazek writes:
In lugnet.admin.nntp, Eric Joslin writes:
In lugnet.admin.nntp, Larry Pieniazek writes:

Anyway, without getting all needlessly philosophical, you wouldn't mind
pointing out where those examples are, would you?  I can't think of any
example
that's been given that really illustrates how this move hurts anything.

The Bionicle thread is a perfectly good example. That theme group was in
sore need of some official answers, in that group. One of the key askers of
questions has already posted to this thread in support of the ability to get
answers put where they belong, in the group where they were asked.

Why was the group in need of official answers *in that group*?  If the people
in the group were really seeking official answers, no doubt they would have
been posting in lugnet.lego.direct- after all, I've seen plenty of posts asking
quesitons about Bionicle mask collecting issues posted there.  And not
answered.  Which means I probably answered my own question about why the posts
were in lugnet.technic.bionicle- people had given up on the idea of LD actually
answering the questions.

It's not my intention to start down the road of quesitoning LD's effectiveness,
but I do think it would be easier for everyone if Lugnet users could rely on
lugnet.lego.direct as a single forum in which questions could be asked, and LD
could respond.  This move- and the proposed posting restrictions for
lugnet.lego.direct- bring us closer to that, which will make the group easier
to use.

Switching identities is a PITA. Try it.

So?  That effects one, maybe two people.  The benefits to the community make
for a much more convincing argument.

Go ahead and make that argument. It hasn't been made.

Yes, it has.  Over and over again.  But, as I don't think you've demonstrated a
terminal lack of ability to grasp a point yet either (although you are getting
close)...

http://news.lugnet.com/lego/direct/?n=2201

To sum up, LEGO involving itself in fan discussions in an official capacity
weakens the core reason Lugnet exists- for fans to talk to other fans.

This doesn't hamper LD talking to fans in any
real way that anyone has yet identified.

Answering questions posed by fans in the appropriate group.

See above.

Yes, they cannot post their answers to theme groups.  So what?  They can
still
post them.  They can still post them *in the thread*.  Web users, and savvy
NNTP users, will be able to follow them to their heart's delight.

Computers exist to make things easy. Using them to make things hard for no
good reason is foolish. Those that support doing so for no good reason are
fools.

Larry, this is the second or third time you've said that.  Yes, computers- and
all tools- exist to perform a function for people (note that there is a subtle
difference in that statement and what you said, which indicates that I think
what you said was a little too generalized).  But if one idiot caveman didn't
figure out how to use a bone as a lever, I don't think the other cavemen were
likely to blame it on the bone.

It's up to the user to learn how to use the tool, to a certain extent.

eric