 Administrative / NNTP / 471
Re: The Relationship - LEGO and its Fans (was: Re: Official vs. unofficial LEGO postings)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.nntp, lugnet.lego.direct
Date:
Fri, 16 Mar 2001 15:57:31 GMT

In lugnet.admin.nntp, Tim Courtney writes:
In lugnet.admin.nntp, Eric Kingsley writes:
I totally disagree.  That post has no place in .trains IMHO.  It was a
marketing post and just like I agree with .market posts not being in the • theme
groups I agree that direct LEGO marketing posts don't belong in the theme
groups.

xpost to lego.direct, so employees can reply.

Eric -
I have mixed feelings about your statement, and I'm sure there are people on
both extremes.  I think its great that LEGO is posting their stuff here,
afterall, we're a consumer market too.

There's been a lot of attitudes expressed here towards keeping LUGNET 'pure'
of LEGO's marketing.  There's also been attitudes of integration and
cooperation with LEGO and welcoming them into all areas of LUGNET.  So, the
question, where does the relationship stand?

I think that now, or a few months from now, is a good time to define a more
clear relationship between TLC and the adult community.  What do they want
from us?  What do we want them here for?  How much of their involvement is
welcome, officially, that is?  What really will happen from all of this?

It would be great to sometime have an open forum about this, or a survey put
out by LUGNET, or something, and then a statement to clarify where the
relationship stands, what's ok and what's off-limits, etc.

A lot of people (myself included) sometimes get confused as to how welcome
LEGO is here.  There's a lot of emotions that have shown recently towards
LEGO, good, bad, and ugly.  I think working together is key, but both sides
need to understand each other so we don't step on each others' toes, or
start going where we're not welcome.

I'm certainly confused. A few months ago people were citing the Cluetrain
Manifesto and begging for LEGO to talk to us. Now we want to box them into one
little space on LUGNET because all LEGO wants is (gasp!) money.

I certainly understand that people don't want LEGO hawking their stuff all over
the place, but what's wrong with them doing it the same way everybody else
does? If they have a train contest to announce, I would think it would go in
.build.contests, and .trains. I don't understand why LEGO employees have to be
restricted as to where they can post.

I have a bad feeling that what is going to happen real soon is that LEGO will
say, "forget it" to even trying to communicate with the AFOL community through
LUGNET. And who could blame them? Just as they were starting to really
communicate with us (as in back-and-forth dialogue as opposed to one LEGO post
followed by AFOL discussion), we pull the rug out from under them. When
somebody refers to LEGO's presence on LUGNET as leaving a "slime trail", I can
see how they might not feel welcome.

So maybe LEGO will decide it needs to do an end around LUGNET to actually get
to us. Is that what we want? LEGO to be excluded from this community and forced
to talk to us via email lists or a bulletin board on lego.com (ugh, I don't
even want to think about what that would be like)? I think it is in everybody's
(LEGO's and ours) best interest to keep LEGO as an active and valued member of
the LUGNET community. But, given the current trend towards shutting LEGO
empolyees out of 99% of LUGNET, it looks like that might be coming to an end.

-Marc