 Administrative / NNTP / 458
457  |  459
Subject:
NNTP vs Web Interface (was Official vs. unofficial LEGO postings)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.nntp
Date:
Fri, 16 Mar 2001 13:24:42 GMT

I've been thinking about another aspect of this whole thing. Unless I
misread something and TLC will not be allowed to reply to a post which
is posted to a non .lego area, what this really amounts to is yet
another example of discrimination against NNTP clients. If TLC responds
to a question in .trains but places the response in
lugnet.lego.whatever, everyone who reads via the web (who doesn't filter
out .lego) will see that response. Those of us who use the NNTP
interface (because it's somewhat quicker, permanently keeps track of
what posts we've read, allows quoting a post in an e-mail reply, and
allows off-line reading) will have to explicitly go read the .lego group
to see the response.

I guess it may be time for me to crack the programming manuals and
explore writing a newsreader like interface which can drive the web
interface.

--
Frank Filz

Home: mailto:ffilz@mindspring.com