 Administrative / NNTP / 1577
Re: Why these news groups were created
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.nntp
Date:
Thu, 23 Sep 2004 05:21:13 GMT

In lugnet.admin.nntp, Ross Crawford wrote:
   In lugnet.admin.nntp, John Neal wrote:
   In lugnet.admin.nntp, Frank Filz wrote:

   Lugnet is attempting to create a community (and it’s a very real community, one of the most real communities I participate in),

Maybe the purpose of LUGNET shouldn’t be to create a community, but rather be a resource center for all things pertaining to LEGO. Boards are useful for communication among AFOLs, and many AFOLs have come to know each other as a result of LUGNET, but I think the goal of creating a LUGNET community might be questionable.

From the main page:

Where minds connect:   You are not alone! LUGNET is home to thousands of  LEGO
fans of all ages. We are a community which never sleeps — and has been  called
"the friendliest place on the Internet."

So it seems it has always been the goal to create a community.

Well, the first line is “where minds connect”. I agree with that assessment. Now, I’m not really sure what being “home to thousands of LEGO fans of all ages” means. Certainly many people come to LUGNET to connect, but is it really a “home”? When I unpack the idea that LUGNET is “home’, I imagine a college student returning to his/her parents home for the summer or for a visit. LUGNET to me is more of a base to where we all can go, not necessarily be. It is the rallying spot; the meeting place. But, frankly, I’m not sure it really matters. What matters is the content on LUGNET.

Now, if LUGNET hopes to retain the moniker “friendliest place on the internet”, it is going to have to publically be more kid-friendly, IMO. Kids need safe places to hang out on the net, and I believe that LUGNET needs to be hyper-sensitive to this issue if it is going to make such a claim. I don’t believe open, adult conversations such as some of the ones that occur on LUGNET are “kid-safe”. Why not admin with an iron fist in the open groups and lay off on closed ones?

If Todd wants LUGNET to be an adult site, no problem. But I think he wants LUGNET to be open and available to all fans of LEGO young and old, so something’s gotta give. Personally, I now have reservations about directing parents with KABOBs to LUGNET, because I’m afraid that their first impression of the community might be tainted by some rogue, inappropriate and off-topic post in a group. Now, that could happen in any group at any time, but I think the rate of occurance would drop dramatically if people were allowed a safe place to be adults.

   I don’t question your right to question that goal, but surely if Todd & Suzanne wanted to create just a resource centre for all things pertaining to LEGO, they would have.

If nothing else, LUGNET is an evolving entity. I’ll bet it isn’t today what they envisioned 6 years ago. I think that taking steps to insure that LUGNET remains THE resource online for AFOLS and KFOLs alike is an idea whose time has come.

JOHN