 Administrative / NNTP / 1480
Re: Lavender Brick Society
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.nntp
Date:
Sat, 18 Sep 2004 16:34:13 GMT

In lugnet.admin.nntp, John Neal wrote:
   What I don’t understand is how .people doesn’t fulfill this need already.

Because .people is still hetero-assumed. Just like every other group in the entirety of LUGNET. It’s the same reason why we have Black History Month, Mother’s Day, Father’s Day, and Secretary’s Day, when every day of the year is about whites, kids, and bosses.

   And where else is there a group that caters to “like-minded” people? There are groups that cater to common interests, but I wouldn’t call that “like-minded”.

What exactly do you see as a distinction there? If the LGBT segment of this community decides to form a formal organization, what makes them less priviledged than ILTCO, SciBrick, and GLUG? None of those are geographically based (well, unless you count “the world” as a geographic limiter for ILTCO).

   Will there then be a need for .people.glbt.trains, .people.glbt.space, etc?

I very much doubt there will be either need or call for a duplication of any other theme-based topics as a subgroup of ?.LGBT. All they’ve asked for is a tiny little corner of LUGNET to call their own, not a complete parallel organization.

   The whole thing doesn’t make sense to me.

It helps if you learn to think of them as people, not Sinners™.