 Administrative / NNTP / 1375
Re: Important message for people connecting via NNTP
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.nntp, lugnet.admin.suggestions
Date:
Thu, 2 Oct 2003 05:48:00 GMT

In lugnet.admin.nntp, Orion Pobursky wrote:
In lugnet.admin.nntp, Todd Lehman wrote:
Due to a recent distributed denial of service attack, we have
shut down NNTP service on port 119 to prevent further
service interruptions.  Alternate ports 1119, 8000, and 8080
are still available.

I would consider Emailing everyone registered with Lugnet and
explaining the situation and providing guidance how to go about
fixing their news reader so thay can start posting again.

Additionally (assuming that port 119 is permanently turned off) it
would be a good idea to change "Setting up a newsreader" in
http://news.lugnet.com/news/
to de-emphasize port 119 and possibly provide links for how to use
a non-default nntp port in various newsreaders (it required some
Googling for me to figure out how to configure Pine).

TWS Garrison