 Administrative / NNTP / 1374
Re: distributed denial of service attack
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.nntp
Date:
Thu, 2 Oct 2003 02:31:37 GMT

In lugnet.admin.nntp, Amy Hughes wrote:
I believe the recent "distributed denial of service attack" was SWEN. I was
getting copies of that from all over the world to my lugnews address, and only
to my lugnews address, until you moved ports. That shut off the incoming viri
like a switch. I suspect the payload included a list of news servers to check
for addresses.

Amy

So THAT's what was going on!  I got over 2200 .swen virus emails in the 10 days
or so preceding the closing of that port, and then, as you mentioned, they
stopped like a switch had been flipped.

Thanks so much for fixing that, Todd!

Adrian
--